Commitment...?

Friday, February 8, 2008

Personal commitment, interaction dominated by obligations. These obligations may be mutual, or self-imposed, or explicitly stated, or may not. Distinction is often made between commitment as a member of an organisation (such as a sporting team, a religion, or as an employee). A personal commitment is a pledge or promise to ones' self for personal growth.
Commitment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Commitment? What the heck sort of blog is this? No, we aren't talking about this sort of commitment..






Nor are we talking about this sort of commitment.


No, we are talking about commitment to your game, or more directly, commitment to your submission.

Case in point, I was rolling yesterday morning with a good friend and training partner of over a year. He also happens to be the author of "Chew-Jitsu.com", great guy, and no I wasn't responsible for re-arranging his chompers. That dubious distinction lies with someone else.

Now, back to the matter at hand. Whenever "Chewy" and I roll it almost always gets aggressive, very aggressive. You see, we know each other's games so well it's hard not to get a bit "motivated" to get the submission. However the problem I'm finding lies not with the motivation, but with the second guessing or "lack of commitment".

You see, I told you we'd get around to this.

Many times during my roll with Chewy I saw something open up. Perhaps it was a nice arm bar or kneebar, or even a personal Hazmat favorite..the mounted triangle. Still, in those instances I found myself starting the submission..but then re-thinking my decision and backing off. Almost as if I thought he'd counter my submission and I should look for something else. End result.. no wins for Hazmat (this time..).

Afterwards he asked me, "Why didn't you sink that armbar, I'd swear you had it ready to go..".

You know what, I really didn't have an answer. All I could think of was my first BJJ Coach and his words to me..

"Believe in it! Believe in your game."

That's the commitment I'm talking about, next time you are setting up a submission and are having doubts.. just believe in it and give it a whirl. Worst case you lose and start over, best case.. well you just might start believing in yourself, and imagine where that would take your game.

Have Faith!

-hz

Blogged with Flock

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is a fine line that must be walked between believing in you game and the submission and getting tunnel vision.

hazmat said...

Yes, there is.. however your razor line determination when going for a bent arm lock is inspiring.

-hz