Stability Ball Fun

Thursday, January 10, 2008

Going back to my prior posts on "Thing 2" and learning by doing and less by thinking I wanted to share something very interesting with you.

I found the following videos through a forum post the other day.





Intocombat.com's Stability Ball Drill, Part of the SAID Circuit Series (We covered these DVDs here.)



Stability Ball drill part of the Impact BJJ Cross Side Top DVDs (Sorry, haven't seen them yet)


Now, I had to give this stuff a shot, so I pulled out the stability ball and started "playing".

First, it's kind of fun, it looks easier than it is, twisting and turning your body while trying to maintain constant pressure is difficult. Next, well to be honest I really didn't think it would have much actual application to my BJJ game. I mean there are plenty of movements that make sense and fit within the context of a roll, but there are also plenty that don't. So, while I was having fun the jury was still out on whether I was doing anything more valuable than rolling around on a big inflatable ball.

Bottom line.. Is there any value to this type of training?

Turns out my answer was right around the corner, at the very next roll in fact!

It was a very strange feeling, here I was rolling around, countering, defending, angling then all of a sudden it happened. I couldn't really put my finger on it, it was a feeling, however for a few seconds I felt just like I did when I was rolling on the ball. I found my body moving smoothly from side control to mount to knee on belly and so on. Of course like anything physical in nature as soon as I recognized it and "tried" to capture the feeling it was gone.

So Stability Ball Rolling is on the weekly training plan now, it's a relatively low impact, low stress exercise that has some strange intangible value to your BJJ game, even if it's all but impossible to capture in words.

Best of all a Stability Ball or Physio Ball is inexpensive (<$20 dollars, be sure to get at least a 55cm or 65cm ball)

Give it a try, it's a fun way to get a little "sport specific" training on the side.

Train fun!

-hz

Blogged with Flock

1 comments:

Fighters Only Mag Editor said...

doh should have looked right through your blog before posting that stability ball video on the other post!