My Summar Reading List..

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Been working late nights and weekends, which as you can imagine has cut into my rolling time considerably, so I'm filling in with a little extra "summer reading list".

Yes, growing up I was one of those geeky kids that 'enjoyed' the summer reading list, why do you think I started BJJ? Had to stop getting beat up :)

So, let's jump into what I've been pouring over.

The Grappler's Book of Strangles and Chokes by Steve Scott


I grabbed this one along with "Vital Leg Locks" which I'll talk about in a minute. All in all I was pleasantly surprised. Steve does a great job outlining many of the "typical" chokes, he even throws in a few that I hadn't seen before that might work.. however some are clearly lower percentage movements. Overall I really got the best value from this book matching up the chokes and techniques with instruction I've received over the years. I found myself remembering techniques from classes I thought I'd long sense forgotten.

Overall: B+

Pros: Majority of the techniques are basic and most BJJ students will know these instinctively.

Cons: The black and white pictures can be difficult to follow, but you won't mind that much.


Vital Leglocks: 65 leglocks for jujitsu, judo, sambo and mixed martial arts (Paperback) by Steve Scott


Yes, another Steve Scott paperback, what can I say, the price was right and I enjoy studying the leg lock game. So, what did I think? On the whole this book is laid out very much like the prior chokes book. It's primarily loaded with techniques your average BJJ/MMA student should have heard of, seen, or experienced. However, with this book you'll be seeing a larger number of "lower percentage" leg locks.

Now, let's be honest, there are a very large number of leg locks period that just don't have a snow ball's chance in hell in a match, and sure this book covers some of them, but take it for what it's worth, it's a great summary of the important leg locks, the ones that win matches (Knee bars, Heel Hooks, even Straight Ankle Locks). Take this book together with Stephan's High Percentage Leg Locks and you've got something great to work with.

Overall: B+

Pros: Nice coverage of the important locks (Knee bars, Heel Hooks, etc)

Cons: The black and white pictures, and some lower percentage locks.



So, get yourself a nice summer reading list, chances are if you've got kids they have one..

Read up!

-hz

Blogged with the Flock Browser

0 comments: