Ego check-up

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Wow, it's amazing what a few surgical incisions and almost 2 months off can do to your game.. and perhaps even more important, your perspective.

I

like mine with a helping of "Just Win Baby!" Syrup.


Like most people in sports I suffer(ed) from a sort of "Win at all costs" attitude. Yes, it's not for lack of trying, but frequently the "old Ego" gets it's way and decides that a loss is.. well it's just plain unpleasant and must be avoided at all costs. Even more so, heaven forbid that loss actually occur, the Ego will start in on me the moment I stop.. things like..

"How could you let that happen? I thought you were better than that."

or

"Sigh, your game is sucking wind today, heck when was the last time it wasn't?"

or

"I've seen octogenarians with better moves!"

Yes, as you can see the Ego still plays a roll in my "rolls", and today was no different. You'd think having just returned to my first full week of activity since painful Hernia surgery I wouldn't mind "losing a few to get back into the groove". Oh no, that same old Ego crept in and the berating tone was there before I could get up..

Now, here's where things changed, months ago if something like this happened I would have avowed to double my efforts, spend more time practicing, grab a friend on a weekend, try to hit a private, etc, etc.

You know what happened this time?

I smiled and thought, I don't have time for that any more, I have a daughter that's rapidly growing up, a business that is expanding into foreign markets, I have language lessons, and home improvement work, I have to spend time with my wife, and make sure my customers and clients are happy.

Bottom line, I just don't have time to "worry" about my Jiu-Jitsu anymore.

And you know something, I think that might not be such a bad thing after all, it's time to just have some fun for a while and see how things go, I promise I'll give my body more leeway as things gradually improve, but most importantly, no more worrying about my game, it's time to just play again.

Go "play" and have fun!

-hz
Blogged with the Flock Browser

6 comments:

Steve said...

That, my friend, is a healthy attitude to have. Glad you're on the mend!

Anonymous said...

Nothing like a little surgery to change your perspective... let alone hernia surgery.

Have fun out there!

Steve said...

Been a long while! How are you? Still with us?

hazmat said...

Barely. I re-injured the hernia, then my company has expanded. I barely have time for my family much less BJJ.

I'm evaluating my options right now.

hz

Robert Bergin said...

An excellent post! I think it's also important to note that play in martial art is not just for those who are pressed for time by their other commitments in life - human beings learn best through play, and it should be the core of training whether you are an amateur or a professional.

Jiu Jitsu Maniac said...

I still need to get my ego under check. I am still in the win at all costs mind set. It is tough for a person who is as competitive as me to just let it go.