Learning by teaching?

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Last night I had an old buddy of mine over to my gym. He used to practice BJJ a bit a few years back and wanted to get a refresher. So we worked on quite a few different techniques, mainly the bread and butter sort of things that atrophy in disuse, things like Guard passing, Mount escapes, basic submissions, etc.

What is always very interesting to me is how much I learn when teaching. A student inevitably asks me something I had not thought of before, they force me to look at a movement or a technique and remember the details in far more "detail" than I would normally.



So, why am I saying this? Every once and a while it's important to teach a little of what you've learned, when you do it brings your knowledge into focus and drives it home.

-hz

Blogged with Flock

0 comments: