Strange Chinese herbs heal my leg!

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Ok, I'll be honest here, I don't put much faith in non-western medicine. Who knows, maybe it's my family history, maybe it's my harsh analytical mind, maybe I'm just a dull guy. Who knows, the point is I'm not one to buy into stuff that doesn't come from Walgreens or CVS.

Well I got hurt a few weeks back, it was a strange sort of tendon injury in my right calf. Happened...of all things.. when I was tiling the back porch. Don't ask me how, it's a very long and very stupid story. Well back to the injury..

I was pissed, I had just switched to a new, closer NoGi BJJ gym and I wanted to use my skills (meager ones at that). Well my guard game (and damn near everything else) hurt. It's amazing how much you use your lower legs, especially in Jiu-Jitsu.

So, I started taking Advil, copious amounts of Advil. It had a minor effect, but to be honest I was getting concerned at how much I had to take to get an effect. It was time for a change but I didn't really know what.

I'd had this bottle of Dit Da Jow from Plumdragon Herbs (back in my Kung Fu days we used Jow for any minor bruising or injury) for awhile and didn't really know what to make of it. It seemed to work ok on bruises, but I mean really, we can all just wait out most bruises.

So I emailed the owner of Plumdragon Herbs, Josh, he said to soak some Jow into gauze and wrap it on my busted up calf for 30 minutes twice a day. You want honesty? My first thought was.. geez I'm gonna have a stinky leg! But I figured what the heck, I've got the stuff here I'll head over to CVS and get some gauze, maybe an ace bandage and make it happen.

You know what happened? Well after 3 days it felt better, I mean much better. After days 4 and 5 it was amazing, I'd say 90% healed. Remarkable!

Now the doubters are saying that I took time off right? No training.. Hahah those people don't know me, I trained BJJ 3 times that week, and 3 days of explosive weight training, to top it off there was a conditioning session and a Yoga Session.

End result? They've made a believer out of me, I can't imagine some raisin scented herbs in a little bottle would have made me feel so much better.

I've emailed Josh and asked him to guest post here, I'd like him to tell you all about a couple of different traditional herbal and alternative remedies to common MMA/Submission Grappling/BJJ ailments.

Look for his post soon, until then, avoid crazy tiling injuries and train smart.

-hz

Blogged with Flock

0 comments: